Re: Proposition to change the prefixing policy

From: Florian Rivoal <florianr@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 15:41:54 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org
On Sat, 05 May 2012 16:03:24 +0200, Sylvain Galineau
<sylvaing@microsoft.com> wrote:

> While I suspect it may be too time-consuming, I wonder if it would be
> helpful
> to do a what-if against a couple of recent modules: what if we had
> followed
> Florian's proposal and unprefixed flexbox or gradients or transitions at
> a much
> earlier point in time? What changes would have been hard or impossible
> to make in
> a backward-compatible manner? What solutions would we have come up with
> instead?
> How good/bad would the result be?

Even if the study is not very deep, Paul Irish did something akin to it on
his blog, considering what would have happened if there were no prefixes
at all, not even the aliased ones I propose:

http://paulirish.com/2012/vendor-prefixes-are-not-developer-friendly/#h.jruvgsvd5z3c

His conclusion is that it would have been alright.

I am quite confident that my solution would work out fine (otherwise I
would not
have proposed it), but I definitely welcome trying to spend some time
looking at how it would concretely have impacted the development of a
number
of CSS3 modules.

  - Florian