Re: Proposition to change the prefixing policy

On Sat, 05 May 2012 04:12:02 +0200, Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org> wrote:

> I'd rather we do the same as http headers. Any experimental feature gets
> an
> x-prefix instead of a vendor prefix.
> [...]
>
> There's no perfect solution to this problem. But the downsides of
> x-prefixing are much milder than the downsides of vendor-prefixing IMO.

The IETF, which is the standard body that has used X- prefixes for http
headers, mail headers, and various other things, is considering moving
away from them:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-appsawg-xdash-05

Essntially, having a single prefix shared by everybody is no different from
having no prefixes at all, except for the fact that you end up using the x-
prefixed name forever, as the migration to the unprefixed name never
happens.

Once you have interpolatable implementations, a spec that describes the
interoperable behavior accurately, and a large body of content using the
name has been implemented, what benefit is there to any one to try and
migrate everybody over to the exact same thing named differently?

  - Florian