Re: [css3-animations] animation-reverse: none | all | even | odd

(12/05/06 21:21), Lea Verou wrote:
> On 6/5/12 15:56, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>> I disagree, actually.  I think that both "reverse" and "alternate" are
>> very clear names.  "alternate-reverse" isn't ideal, but it's not bad
>> either, and I don't know how to say it more cleanly.
>
> `reverse` is, but I disagree about the others. `alternate` could mean
> many things (what alternates? how? which iterations are reversed?), and
> without reading the spec, I’d imagine it’s hard to guess what it does
> just from the syntax.

I think this is where our mental models significantly differ. I don't
need to think in turns of "which iterations are reversed" to get what
'alternate' means, but I don't have much experience with CSS Animation
so you may better reflect what authors think when writing CSS animations.

One question though, are all authors aware that in CSS things start with
1 instead of 0? I know :nth-child has this already, but I still find
'animation-reverse: even;' a bit unnatural.

(12/05/06 23:56), Lea Verou wrote:
> FWIW, I blogged about it, in order to get more author feedback:
> http://lea.verou.me/2012/05/is-animation-direction-a-good-idea/
> It’s Sunday so the interwebs are quiet, but the few comments it got
> so far are overwhelmingly in favor of animation-reverse over the
> current syntax.

Great post! However, I think you should have split out the "is
'animation-reverse: even;' better than 'animation-direction:
alternate;'?" question instead of asking as a whole, as 'alternate'
seems to have significantly more use cases than 'reverse' and I pretty
much think like the only commenter[1] who's not in favor of this proposal :p

[1]
http://lea.verou.me/2012/05/is-animation-direction-a-good-idea/#comment-521122341

Cheers,
Kenny