Re: Proposition to change the prefixing policy

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2012 20:51:23 -0400
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org
On 5/5/12 6:18 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> If offering functionality to content authors was gated on getting a spec to CR, that would be a huge handicap for the Web platform compared to proprietary platforms. Thus, I don't think your proposal would be a good idea even if it was possible to get everyone to agree.
>
> If unprefixing happened much sooner than CR, then your proposal might be more reasonable, depending on the specific bar for unprefixing.

Right.  One of the necessary consequences of the proposal, given that we
do want to get functionality to authors in finite time, is that the
process for getting a spec to whatever state allows unprefixing would
need to be shorter.  Either via allowing unprefixing before CR or by
getting to CR _much_ more quickly.

-Boris