Re: Proposition to change the prefixing policy

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2012 11:30:24 -0400
To: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
CC: Lea Verou <leaverou@gmail.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On 5/5/12 10:47 AM, Sylvain Galineau wrote:
> Are we talking about implementors who will not submit a spec for a new
> feature before they have released a public implementation for it? That
> is rather different from not putting code in a nightly/preview build if
> it won't make the very next upcoming release.

My understanding was that both were policy for at least some group
members.  If I'm wrong, that's great.

> And I think it's fair to assume we'd all rather keep it that way.

I don't think that's a good assumption.

Certainly there has been some discussion inside Mozilla about moving to
a model where we put all unstable CSS features behind prefs, off by
default in release builds.

> Last, these features are one of the ways browser releases compete with each
> other.

Yes, that's one of the key problems against a UA unilaterally moving to
a model where they ship things preffed off by default.  It puts them at
a competitive disadvantage.  And even if we all agreed to do it, the
benefits to defecting would be enormous.

-Boris