RE: Proposition to change the prefixing policy

[Liam R E Quin:]

> On Fri, 2012-05-04 at 19:12 -0700, Ojan Vafai wrote:
> > Since we're throwing proposals out there...
> >
> > I'd rather we do the same as http headers. Any experimental feature
> > gets an x-prefix instead of a vendor prefix.
>
> How does that work if two different browsers have different value-spaces
> for the same property? This seems entirely likely - e.g. they implement
> different drafts, or invent something independently.

If the values are mutually incompatible you'd just repeat the property as
you do today. The hard case being when the value spaces overlap substantially
and/or some values come to mean different things over time. But if the draft
does that then you can already have this problem today i.e. -moz-foo:bar and
-ms-foo:bar would yield different results in such a case as well. There may
or may not be a valid fallback for a particular UA; if there is one, the prefix
does make it easy to target a specific engine at the stylesheet level. But
sniffing the engine is pretty much all you have left at this point. The question
though is: how often would this kind of issue have happened in the past had we
followed the model proposed by Florian above? (which, afaik, was first mooted
by Aryeh Gregor on this list some time ago)