Re: Proposition to change the prefixing policy

From: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2012 12:20:38 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org
(not quoting a so long message)

Florian, I think your proposal has one flaw only but that's a pretty
big one... We introduced prefixes originally to be able to have preview
implementations potentially differing from the final spec and
implementations. Prefixes were supposed to allow vendors to start
implementing, test, discover issues and hence feed the standardization
process. If preview implementations are aliased without prefix, they
will be adopted by web authors, and sometimes _widely_. Some browser
vendors said they just cannot let web sites suddenly become broken
when an implementation changes following spec changes. That concern
remains. If property A is implemented prefixed AND unprefixed at date
d, and the spec for that property changes at date d+1, how will vendors
update their implementation AND preserve sites implementing date d's
draft from breakage?

</Daniel>