Re: Proposition to change the prefixing policy

From: Florian Rivoal <florianr@opera.com>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2012 07:20:12 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org
On Sat, 05 May 2012 06:08:11 +0200, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 10:26 AM, Florian Rivoal <florianr@opera.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Warning: long mail. If you want to skip the rationale, and just want the
>> technical proposal, jump down to "==== Proposal ===="
>>

> I believe the policy is correct and should be retained. The correct way
> fix the issue is by moving specs to CR more quickly.

Even if we could speed up work on trendy specs by prioritizing better,
I don't think we can go down from several years to a few months at most,
which would be needed if we don't want prefixed properties to creep up
too much in real content.

How do you think authors should use prefixes? Not at all in production
content? Include the unprefixed property preventively alongside the
prefixed ones, or not? Include the prefixes only of browsers they have
tested, or all browsers that currently have the feature, or all
browsers, even the ones that don't currently have the feature?

  - Florian