Re: Proposition to change the prefixing policy

I agree on the problems the current prefixes have, but in stead of browser prefixes, woulden't it be better to use draft prefixes like -beta1-flexbox or maybe -23july2009-flexbox? (which I think is not as good as beta1)

This way browsers always know what draft you try to use. Even the newest draft would have such a prefix and the unprefixed version would refer to the newest (supported) draft
Only when the draft reaches a point when it becomes CR, the prefix for this version could be left out (but doesn't have to be)

When a browser sees a working draft notation which is hasn't implemented yet, like -beta3-flexbox in firefox for example, it could skip it, just like it would skip -webkit-flexbox

A CSS file would look like this again flexbox as example:

.flexbox Div {
   /*newest version uses the word flex, older ones use flexbox and the first version uses box. order: from  oldest to newest*/
   /*first betas can be left out once beta3 is fully supported. New versions wouldn't give any problem since the stylesheet only asks for beta1-5*/
   Display:-beta1-box;
   Display:-beta2-flexbox;
   Display:-beta3-flexbox;
   Display:-beta4-flexbox;
   Display:-beta5-flex;
}

Div > div {
   -beta1-box-flex: 0.0; /*no negative flex or width support :( */
   width:  -beta2-flex(1 0 10px);
   width:  -beta3-flex(1 0 10px);
   -beta4-flex: 1 0 10px;
   -beta5-flex: 1 0 10px;
   /*the browser will always look for the newest supported draft and will ignore the other betas. */
   /* When you think: “this is too much, I can not support all those drafts!”, you can just skip betas but keep in mind that not every browser will support it. If that's a problem, you shouldn't use this property in the first place. */
   ... /* other properties like -beta*-flex-pack / -beta1-box-pack or background-color */
}

In the case of flexbox it would be enough only to use beta 1, 3 (, 4) and 5 since they are used most by the browsers and the differ the most, but the easiest thing is just to copy/paste the whole list of the 5 betas.

Any opinions/comments on this proposition?

-Rik