Re: [css3-text] White space processing (was New WD of CSS Text Level 3

On 02/19/2011 04:33 AM, Koji Ishii wrote:
> I hope this is the last question in your review, please let me know if I miss soething.
>
>> Section 4 states
>> Note that the document parser may have not only
>> normalized segment breaks,
>>
>> How is the adjective "normalized" meant to be applied
>> to "segment break"?
>
> I think it can be removed, but let me check this with my co-editor.

"have normalized" is the verb in the clause, so no, "normalized" cannot be removed. :)

[OT English Grammar] The (vastly) simplified present-tense form would be:
   The document parser normalizes segment breaks.
It's conjugated into [conditional-past tense whose name I don't know]:
   The document parser may have normalized segment breaks.
And then "not only ... but also" is inserted to add in a second predicate:
   The document parser may have not only normalized segment breaks, but also ...

Does that help?

>> Are form feeds (U+000C?) explicitly NOT considered
>> to be white space, and if so, should that be stated;
>> how should they be handled, if at all?

This is covered in the statement
   # Control characters (Unicode class Cc) other than tab (U+0009), line feed (U+000A),
   # and carriage return (U+000D) are ignored for the purpose of rendering.

> Do you have any reason or real use cases to explicitly include it as white space?
> The "white space" here is not to be a general definition of white space but is a
> useful, interoperable, and backward compatible way for the UAs to handle source
> text. I don't think we should change this behavior unless it is absolutely
> necessary, as any changes can impact UA developers and HTML authors.

For background - CSS2.1 does not collapse form feeds as white space. [1]
CSS3 Text must remain consistent with CSS2.1 in this respect.

(If you believe they should be collapsed, please provide a test case showing
that they are collapsed in at least two of the four major browser engines
and we will accept this as a potential CSS2.1 erratum.)

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/text.html#white-space-model

~fantasai