Re: Vendor-prefixes: an idea

From: François REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 17:16:25 +0200
To: "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>, <www-style@w3.org>
Currently [1], only !important is defined in the css tokenizer. It's like an
exception. It means we have full potential of introducing something new
about that in future iterations of the spec. We could define a DVM token as
'!{ident}-wd' {return DVM_SYM;}         and explain it is ignored if at
least one the DVM token is supported by the browser, and makes the
declaration invalid otherwhise.

Since !something is unrecognized in current UAs, there'll be no
compatibility issue. Only IE6 has a bug which lead !something to mean
!important. However, IE6 is unlikely to understand any new property
introduced right now, so this is a non-issue.

[1] [[ "!{w}important"        {return IMPORTANT_SYM;} ]] in
http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-syntax/