Re: [css3-images] interpolation of color stop positions (was Re: Change to currentColor means it's no longer animatable?)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 14:06:23 -0700
To: Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>
Cc: Shane Stephens <shans@google.com>, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 1:58 PM, Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com> wrote:
> In animation cases, it effectively removes a feature (and adds a new one).
>
> As such "in the wild" we don't really have data yet because animations + gradients is new territory.
>
> We should probably at least have a note in CSS3 that it is likely the rule ordering will change in CSS4 so that authors have a warning now rather than having content break later.

There already is such a warning - we tell authors explicitly *not* to
misorder their stops, and to avoid certain practices that might
accidentally result in misordered stops.

The step in question is *error-handling*, so that we have a sane model
to work with when we actually draw the gradient.  It's not actually
*functionality*, except insofar as *every* detail is a function to
someone.

~TJ