Re: [css3-text] overflow-wrap vs word-wrap

On 04/29/2012 03:39 PM, Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu wrote:
> By the way, I would like to ask a dumb question here: if we can rename
> 'word-wrap', why can't we fold this property into a value of
> 'word-break', say, 'word-break: overflow;'?
>
> It's been a year and half since the first time I read this spec, and I
> am still very often confused by these various line breaking properties.
> Correct me if I am wrong, there are four right?
>
> * 'line-break'
> * 'word-break'
> * 'overflow-wrap'
> * 'text-wrap'
>
> Am I missing something?

Regardless of whether it's a good idea, 'text-wrap' and 'overflow-wrap'
can't be combined because historically 'white-space' and 'word-wrap'
are independent.

I tried to combine 'line-break' and 'word-break', but couldn't make it
work very well. There apparently isn't a single scale of strictness --
they combine in all possible ways. They're also implemented unprefixed
in IE since v6.

The -wrap properties determine whether you're allowed to soft-wrap,
whereas the -break properties determine a legitimate break point is.
So there is a logic to that distinction.

~fantasai