Re: [selectors4] Universal Selector '*' (asterisk) elsewhere

From: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 14:32:10 +0200
To: www-style CSS <www-style@w3.org>
Tab Atkins Jr.:

> This just shows, yet again, that pseudo-elements should be treated
> like real elements, not as aspects of another element.  If they were
> real elements and :: was a combinator or something, you'd just do: "*
> :: *" and be done with it.

I never thought of pseudo-elements as “aspects” of other elements. In my mental model they are style-based children that every tree-based node has, even when otherwise empty. Therefore they don’t count when using tree-based selectors, because otherwise ‘:first-child’ would always match ‘::before’.

Lately I’ve thought about regions and whether or how they should be selectable. I still tend to prefer ‘@region’, but that only works well for large, unique regions, whereas sometimes you would want to create and anchor a region (or more than one) before, after or in place of a node, which would make ‘::region’ the saner choice …