From: Andrew Fedoniouk
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2012 11:28 PM
To: www-style@w3.org
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Subject: Re: [css-transition] :animating state pseudo-class & display property

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 2:15 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

  On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Andrew Fedoniouk
  <news@terrainformatica.com> wrote:
  > Consider that we have expanding/collapsing section that we would like to
  > animate.
  > At the end of collapsing the section should be set to display:none.
  > And at start of animation it shall get display:none. While animating it
  > should have overflow:hidden
  > to achieve needed effect.
  >
  > I propose to add :animating pseudo-class that is "on" while element is under
  > the animation.
  > So we will have this:
  >
  > section.expanded
  > {
  >    display:block;
  >    height: max-content;
  >    transition: height 400ms;
  > }
  > section.expanded:animating { display:block; overflow-y:hidden; }
  >
  > section.collapsed
  > {
  >    display:none;
  >    height: 0;
  >    transition: height 400ms;
  > }
  > section.collapsed:animating { display:block; overflow-y:hidden; }
  >
  > The :animating state pseudo-class will help to deal with
  > other discrete non-animateable properties while animations.
  >
  > We are using :animating year or so ago and found it
  > quite useful in many animation related cases.

  This seems to fall under the general "selectors can't depend on CSS
  properties" rule.

  What happens in the following?

  :animating { animation: none; }
  :not(:animating) { animation: foo 1s infinite; }

  ~TJ

To prevent possible oscillations implementations can ignore transition/animation properties
in styles derived from rules with :animating pseudo-class used in any form.

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.

http://terrainformatica.com