Re: [css3-images] Animatability of object-fit, object-position, image-resolution, and image-orientation

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 7:54 AM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 28, 2012, at 11:16 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>> Seem to have forgotten to update the spec with the Animatability field.
>> Suggested values:
>>
>>  object-fit:        no
>>  object-position:   yes
>>  image-resolution:  no
>>  image-orientation: no
>
> It seems kind of arbitrary to not allow animating of image-resolution, since it takes a number and unit for its value. Seems like it should be easy to do.
>
> As for use cases, it could be used to animate the image size when you don't know what the actual width/height dimensions are (and want it to affect layout). It could also be used as a special effect to smoothly animate from, say, 0.25dpi to 1dppx at a fixed size. Or in a background at fixed background-size to sort of blur the image on hover, by reducing its resolution as you increase the opacity of some text in front of the background.

Agreed.  If it's trivial to define interpolation at computed-value
time, such as just "interpolate as a real number", then we should do
so to keep people's mental model simple.

Also: omg I love that use-case now that I've figured out what you mean
by it.  I'm not sure it would work, but it would be awesome.

I'm adding this as Issue 54.  I made "Animatable" a link, formatted it
as dbaron suggested, made image-resolution animatable (when neither
endpoint has 'from-image', as that requires info from the image, and
we consider that used-value time info), and defined how to animate a
<resolution>.