Re: [css4-text] A non-inherited property to control behavior of whitespace-only child boxes

On 3/29/12 4:27 AM, Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu wrote:
> (12/03/29 8:42), Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>> On 3/28/12 5:23 PM, Marat Tanalin | tanalin.com wrote:
>>> Currently, it's somewhat tricky to use `display: inline-block` to
>>> create gapless layout
>
> For your information, this was brought up[1] as a use case for
> 'text-space-collapse: discard;'.

text-space-collapse is inherited, which is not what's really needed here.

> Do your have other use cases besides this one?

Not yet, though of course the underlying mechanism would be the same for
this and tables/flexbox/grid.

> Specifically, do we need
> a value that keeps whitespaces from getting dropped, esp. in
> 'table'/'inline-table'/'flexbox'/'inline-flexblox'?

I don't think we actually do.

> Other thing, if we end up not dropping inter-element whitespaces
> unconditionally for flexboxes, 'text-space-collapse: discard;' as it is
> currently defined in CSS4 Text[2] doesn't work because it turns the
> whitespace into a zero width non-joiner (U+200C) (why, by the way?) and
> it would still generate an anoymous flexbox item, I presume.

Yep.

> And again, 'text-space-collpase' is inheritable and it's not clear to me
> if that is better or we need something else.

Indeed.

-Boris