Re: [css4-text] A non-inherited property to control behavior of whitespace-only child boxes

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 17:42:32 -0700
To: "Marat Tanalin | tanalin.com" <mtanalin@yandex.ru>
CC: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On 3/28/12 5:23 PM, Marat Tanalin | tanalin.com wrote:
> Currently, it's somewhat tricky to use `display: inline-block` to create gapless layout

Yes, that's one of the main motivators for the proposal.

> I'm not sure that this should be non-inherited since we could just override it for children of children when needed. Having such ability is better than not having it.

If it's not inherited, you can always explicitly inherit it by using the
"inherit" value.

So the only question is what the default behavior should be.  By
default, it seems like inheriting a property designed to change how
immediate kids are rendered doesn't make sense.

-boris