Re: [css4-text] A non-inherited property to control behavior of whitespace-only child boxes

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 2:34 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> We keep running into situations where markup contains "non-semantic"
> whitespace.  This includes whitespace between flex item, whitespace between
> internal table parts, in some cases whitespace between inline-block kids of
> a block.  I expect the list to grow.
>
> Would it make sense to have a property (non-inherited) to allow suppressing
> such whitespace-only child boxes when the author wants them suppressed?

So this would control whether or not we throw away direct text-node
children of an element.  I'm okay with that.  Presumably we'd still
let layout modes define their default handling of whitespace, with the
property having a default value of "auto" that respects that.