Re: [css3-grid-layout] Interaction of "gutters" and automatic item placement

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 12:02:36 -0700
To: www-style@w3.org, Alexander Shpack <shadowkin@gmail.com>
On 03/27/2012 05:11 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> The automatic item placement algorithm works very well when attempting
> to flow a list of items into a grid, but it fails when you want the
> grid to have "gutters" between the items.
> Gutters are very common in grid systems (for example, see the very
> popular fluid grid in Bootstrap
> <http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/scaffolding.html#fluidGridSystem>),
> so we should support this use-case.
>
> I suggest a "grid-gutters:<length>  <length>?;" property. (Actually it
> would be a<track-breadth>  without the keywords.)  This establishes
> gutter columns and rows, which take part in sizing, but can't have
> elements placed inside of them, or be addressed directly in any way.
> (Basically, this is identical to the border-spacing property for
> tables.)

I agree with your use case (and it's been on my mind the past few weeks
as well, after reading Alexander Shpack's messages), but I disagree with
your method. I think we should re-use the 'column-gap' property and add
a 'row-gap' property for the other dimension. (We'll need a 'row-gap'
property if we add a 'column-length' property as we've discussed anyway.)

~fantasai