[css3-background] Computed values of background-* and multiple layers

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 18:32:40 +0200, fantasai
<fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:

> On 02/21/2012 02:53 PM, L. David Baron wrote:
>> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-background/#the-background-repeat lists
>> the Computed Value of background-repeat as "as specified".
>>
>> Since the Computed Value line describes the information that the
>> implementation must retain (or not) in the computed value (which is
>> then inherited), this seems to imply that implementations must
>> retain the distinction between "repeat" and "repeat repeat" while
>> inheriting.  This seems wrong; I don't think that distinction should
>> be retained in the conceptual computed value.
>>
>> (However, when serializing, since implementations should prefer
>> serializing a computed value to its longer-established form [1],
>> both should get serialized as "repeat".)
>>
>> At least, based on my understanding of what the "Computed Value"
>> line means, I think this should change.  But I'm not sure how well
>> my understanding is reflected in the relevant specifications.
>
> Ok, I've changed it from
>    Computed value: as specified
>    Computed value: two keywords, one per dimension
> And clarified that the one-keyword values compute to the two-keyword
> forms.
>
> Please let me know if this satisfies your comment.

This only makes sense when there is a single entry in the comma-separated
list.

The same issue already exists for 'background-position'.

--
Øyvind Stenhaug
Core Norway, Opera Software ASA