[css3-images] [CSS21] replaced elements and 'content'

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 00:07:55 -0700
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Tab asked me make sure we clarify how 'content'-generated replaced elements
interact with the box properties. So we've added the following text as an
example:

http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-images/#object-sizing-examples

   # ‘content’
   #   Objects inserted via the CSS2.1 ‘content’ property are anonymous
   #   replaced elements, and are sized the same way. [CSS21] Note that
   #   such anonymous elements have all their non-inherited properties
   #   (including ‘width’, ‘height’, etc.) set to their initial values.

I'm pretty sure this is the behavior we all agreed on and have implemented;
however, I can't find any text in CSS2.1 that explain this nor any tests
in the test suite that test it, i.e. the fact that a <uri> value for
'content' inserts replaced elements rather than turning the element into a
replaced element.

Am I missing something, or is this a CSS2.1 issue here? And is this the
correct behavior?

~fantasai