Re: [css3-mediaqueries] and [css3-values]

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012, Florian Rivoal wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 18:23:03 +0200, Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org> wrote:

>>> <ratio> is defined in [2].  The others are defined by reference to
>>> CSS 2.1 (as stated in [2]), since media queries is advancing well
>>> ahead of css3-values.  What do you believe needs to be changed?
>>
>> Well, it means that either you will end up with duplication of definitions
>> between mediaqueries and css3-values, or css3-values will be incomplete.
>>
>> As the definition of ratio and resolution is already in CR stage, it
>> shouldn't be an issue to pub them in css3-values, and even adds an edcopy
>> that it won't change anymore if mediaqueries reaches rec before values is
>> anywhere near stable, so I just find the current situation suboptimal.
>
> From css3-mediaqueries's point of view, I consider this issue out of scope.
> The issue, if it is to be resolved, should be resolved in css3-values.
>
> Do you agree with this conclusion?

Yes and no.
It's always the issue of being to find the right references without
knowing all documents and their state. References (if they exists) will be
done in random directions and in the end it's a mess for implementors.

The current framework is clearly not working when you have multiple
documents defining their own stuff and are at a different maturity level.
'Solving it in css3-values' means that it won't be solved at all.
That said, I'm ok to close the css3-mediaqueries issue.

--
Baroula que barouleras, au tiƩu toujou t'entourneras.

         ~~Yves