Re: [css3-gcpm] Content templates

From: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 16:49:33 +0200
To: www-style CSS <www-style@w3.org>
Tab Atkins Jr.:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 4:22 AM, Christoph Päper
>>
>> Selectors in values are always a bad idea.
>
> There are specific reasons the group has avoided selectors in values (mainly just complexity concerns), but that doesn't make them "always a bad idea".

Complexity, circular dependencies, recursion … always come up when someone suggests some property that needs selectors in its value space. I believe the WG’s history of not going down that road is a good indication that it is a bad idea. From a usability perspective, too, it makes sense to stick as much as possible to the established pattern where selectors are at the highest level (ignoring at-rules for a moment), properties in the middle and values at the lowest, without any of them appearing in one of the other two levels.

So maybe I exaggregated a bit by using “always” and violated the “never say never” rule, but I stand by it nevertheless, even without a formal proof.