Re: [css3-regions] @region and specificity

From: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 14:12:05 -0500
Cc: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, www-style@w3.org
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
On Mar 20, 2012, at 12:55 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 10:35 AM, David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com> wrote:
>> I would strongly prefer we use pseudo-classes here. I don't get why we would want to use pseudo-elements. We're not talking about a unique object as we are with other pseudo-elements. We're just talking about how an element itself looks in a particular region. In the example above the portion of <h1> that is in a region is still the <h1>, so I think a pseudo-class is far more appropriate.
>
> "The portion of <h1> that is in a region" is a unique object, though,
> just like "the portion of <p> in the first line" is.  A pseudoclass
> just filters elements, exactly like a normal class would, so any
> properties would still apply to the *whole* <h1>.

I should back up and say I hate using pseudo-classes and pseudo-elements for this at all and still think the @region syntax is far superior to both.

http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-regions/#the-at-region-style-rule

I think what's specified there is far easier to read and understand for authors than pseudo-elements would be.

dave
(hyatt@apple.com)