Re: [css3-font] unquoted font family names with whitespace

From: woschd <moz@jeka.info>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 23:28:36 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org
John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com> hodd gsachd:

> In real world use, this is rarely a problem.  Font family names may
> have spaces but typically don't start with numbers or use punctuation
> characters.  Yes, I'm sure there are exceptions out there but they
> generally aren't used on the web or in interchange situations (e.g.
> email).

I had a real problem with unqouted "Courier 10 Pitch" recently.
A font stack like

"Courier 10 Pitch", "Nimbus Mono L", FreeMono, "Courier New", Courier,
monospace;

is needed to avoid fallback from "Courier New" to something like
"DejaVu Sans Mono" on many Linux systems (while "Courier 10 Pitch" is
the better font anyway).

j.j.