RE: [css3-images] comments on radial gradients

From: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 00:18:08 +0000
To: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

[Tab Atkins Jr.:]

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 3:17 PM, Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Well, fwiw, I don't think it's clear English at all. I've never seen
> this word spelled this way, every spell-checker I have on hand flags
> it and I've never heard anyone say it that way either. It can't be
> clear if it's going to look like a distracting typo to everyone but the editor. And I suspect it will...

>Dictionaries vary.  "axises" is recognized in at least a few, and a quick google search finds many people (speaking normal English) >using the word as I do.

They do vary, and since many consider it to be invalid - including Chrome's, on Windows at least -, this indicates it is not settled
and may confuse many. As for Google, it appears 'axes' is orders of magnitude more common than 'axises' (tens of millions vs. ~200K).
I don't see the point of using terminology or spelling that is more likely to be confusing than alternatives. These are standard specs;
taking 'moral' stands on alternative spelling is imo a non-goal.