Re: Allowing unknown pseudo classes and unknown pseudo element in the selector.

From: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 12:27:35 +0100
To: "www-style@w3.org Style" <www-style@w3.org>
Boris Zbarsky:
> On 3/8/12 12:52 PM, Erik Arvidsson wrote:
>> Today we don't drop the whole rule for unknown tag names, attribute names etc.
>
> That's at least in part because the syntax of tag names and attribute names is known and fixed.

Also, said names depend on the document language and are therefore out of scope for CSS, whereas pseudo-* are defined in CSS modules.

> nothing says they have to be restricted to things of the form ::[a-z0-9-]*.

… and I’m pretty sure there have been proposals already which would require that to be extended to

at least. Unlike attribute and element names, however, the CSS WG could restrict itself to use only characters from the Basic Latin block (vulgo US-ASCII).