Re: [css3-images] aliasing of object-fit/object-position

On Wednesday 29 February 2012 12:24:38 fantasai wrote:
> On 02/22/2012 04:36 AM, Leif Arne Storset wrote:
> > Erik Dahlstrom <ed@opera.com> skreiv Wed, 22 Feb 2012 13:16:45
> > +0100
> >
> >> In sections 5.4 and 5.5:
> >>
> >> [[ User agents MAY accept ‘image-fit’ as an alias for
> >> ‘object-fit’, as a previous version of this specification used
> >> that name. Authors must not use ‘image-fit’ in their stylesheets.
> >> ]] [[ User agents MAY accept ‘image-position’ as an alias for
> >> ‘object-position’, as a previous version of this specification
> >> used that name. Authors must not use ‘image-position’ in their
> >> stylesheets. ]]
> >
> > This is because printers (from HP, I assume) use the property in
> > firmware. [0] It may not be a significant argument against your
> > proposal, though: these old printers will never be declared
> > conforming to css3-images anyway. Unless new printers have to work
> > with old drivers or software or something.
> >
> >> Are there any precedents in any CSS specifications for this kind
> >> of aliasing? It sounds to me like a good way of introducing
> >> incompatibilities between user agents.
> >>
> >> Please consider removing the sentences that allow 'image-fit' and
> >> 'image-position'.

I thought the old names were 'fit' and 'fit-position', rather than
'image-fit' and 'image-position'?

As far as I can tell, we have never had any draft with 'image-fit' and
'image-position'. We indeed discussed those names, and went back and
forth between 'image-fit' and 'fit' for a couple of months, but it was
'object-fit' that we finally published.

> > 0. Nearest thing I can find for a citation for that is
> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2011Jul/0538.html.
> > Not a very solid one, I must admit.
>
> One possibility would be to shift the aliasing from css3-images to
> the CSS Print Profile.

I prefer a single name for a single property. I can already see the
people from 15 years ago coming back and asking for a 'colour'
property...

Bert