Re: [css3-images] [css3-gcpm] element() and element()

On Wednesday 2012-03-07 14:53 -0800, fantasai wrote:
> On 02/29/2012 03:57 PM, Simon Fraser wrote:
> >On Feb 29, 2012, at 3:45 PM, fantasai wrote:
> >
> >>[Once more, with correct tags...]
> >>
> >>GCPM defines an element() function, which returns an element
> >>  http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-gcpm/#running-elements
> >>
> >>and Images defines an element() function, which returns an image
> >>  http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-gcpm/#running-elements
> >>
> >>They are not the same, and they are both acceptable as input to 'content'.
> >>
> >>I don't have a solution, but there is a conflict here.
> >
> >element() in the CSS Image case doesn't immediately strike me
> >as meaning a snapshot of the targeted element. Maybe we should
> >use something more descriptive, like:
> >
> >snapshot() (even though it updates)
> >replica()
> >element-image()
> >imageof()
>
> Another option is just paint(), since we are expecting it to be
> used with paint servers etc.

I think all of these are inferior to element() considering the
context, which is something like:

  background: element(#tab);

In the context of the background property, we know we're talking
about something to draw.  What's interesting is that the thing being
drawn is an element from the document.

-David