Re: <style scoped> and the cascade

On 03/07/2012 02:18 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Mar 2012, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>>
>> I've been looking into scoped stylesheets, and I'm not sure that the way
>> the spec currently places them in the CSS cascade makes sense.  If the
>> intent is for them to be used for styling a particular subtree, it seems
>> like they should probably come later than global document sheets in the
>> cascade; otherwise you can end up with global sheets accidentally
>> overriding scoped styles, which makes it difficult to really use scoped
>> styles effectively.
>
> I'm happy to change the scoping to work with new cascade levels, but it's
> hard to spec that cleanly without supporting infrastructure on the CSS
> side, so I'd rather only do that if the relevant CSS specs can first be
> changed to support the concept of multiple nested cascade levels.

I think we're a little low on editing capacity for that, unless someone
competent steps up here. However, if you want to edit CSS3 Cascade, I'm
willing to clean up the draft and sync it to CSS2.1 for you. (I'll need
a WG resolution to drop the old alternate-style stuff that's in there,
and Håkon's ok to reorganize his draft, but that's probably easier to get
than convincing you to edit. :)

(I can help with process stuff. I'm good at that. But I don't have the
bandwidth to actually work on another module.)

~fantasai