RE: [css3-mediaqueries] implementation report

From: John Jansen <John.Jansen@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 21:04:05 +0000
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
CC: Florian Rivoal <florianr@opera.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

> The specific language in the CR exit criteria for media queries is:
>
> "is shipped, or is a "nightly build" (i.e., a development version for the next
> release), but is not experimental (i.e., a version specifically designed to pass the
> test suite and not intended for daily usage going forward). "
> http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-mediaqueries/#status
>
> The referenced Opera webpage states that this build is "New Opera Next
> snapshot that brings Presto all the way up to version 2.10.269.".
> http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2012/02/28/precision-engine
>
> To me, this implies that it is "a development version for the next release" and
> not "a version specifically designed to pass the test suite".
>
> Note that the criteria for CSS 2.1, a specification which was designed to be a
> wrap-up of existing implementations, were different and more stringent:

Thank you for the detailed explanation. This makes me feel a lot better and clarifies it nicely.

> I'm glad to see that we will have results for IE9/IE10 and that you only have 10
> failures.
>
> Any chance those 10 could be reduced to 0 before IE10 ships?

There is always a chance :-). Honestly, we will need to determine risk v reward with each of them. For example, one issue that causes 4 failures may have broad test impact for what looks like an edge-case user scenario, so we'll have to evaluate on a case by case basis.