[css3-images] media fragments and backwards compatibility

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 10:13:29 -0800
To: www-style@w3.org
http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-images/#image-fragments says:
  # So that authors can take advantage of CSS's forwards-compatible
  # parsing rules to provide a fallback for image slices,
  # implementations that support the ‘image()’ notation must support
  # the xywh=#,#,#,# form of media fragment identifiers for images.
  # [MEDIA-FRAGS]

First, it's not clear to me *where* this is saying that
implementations must support fragment identifiers in images.  Is it
saying they must support it inside of image(), or must support it in
other places as well?  If the latter, do we know if there are
compatibility problems?

-David