RE: [css3-background] Editorial: background shorthand missing 'background-image' assignment?

From: Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 04:27:09 +0000
To: "Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu" <kennyluck@csail.mit.edu>, WWW Style <www-style@w3.org>
Refer to section 3.1 ...
http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-background/#layering

I believe mental model was similar to what led to this...
# If a property doesn't have enough comma-separated
# values to match the number of layers

For images, this will never be the case because background-image is what drives how many layers there are.

I suspect that thinking spilled over into the section you quoted.

I concur that the 3.10 should probably be improved.