RE: Western vertical texts

From: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 19:53:11 -0500
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
> From: fantasai [mailto:fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net]
> On 03/01/2012 09:36 PM, Koji Ishii wrote:
> >
> > I also wonder how good "always use 1em height" is for Latin upright text.
>
> It's not very good. It's even worse when you use lowercase letters.
>
> Anecdote: I used to think Latin looked horrible when typeset upright with lower-case letters.
> Then someone in Japan hand-wrote my name in vertical upright, and it looked perfectly
> reasonable--because the spacing between letters was properly adjusted.

Yeah, but that reasonable look requires more information from fonts.

I captured screenshots[1]; the left is from Adobe InDesign Japanese composer (English composer doesn't allow upright setting,) and the right is from Safari on MacOS. I wish something in between the two, but that cannot be done without information in the font.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2012Mar/att-0008/text-orientation-upright-pitch.png

Regards,
Koji