Re: [css3-fonts] simplifying font-variant-ligatures, proposal 2

From: Eric Muller <emuller@adobe.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 11:47:21 -0800
To: <www-style@w3.org>
On 2/22/2012 9:22 PM, John Daggett wrote:
>   font-variant-ligatures: normal | inherit | no-ligatures | [ common-ligatures || discretionary-ligatures || historical-ligatures ]
[...]
> The only situation this wouldn't cover would be one where an
> author explicitly wants to disable common ligatures but wants to enable
> only historical ligatures (or only discretionary ligatures).

More generally, I don't see how to write a rule that disables something
(not just common; say foo) without knowing what's enabled in the parent
context. Furthermore, it seems that I need two points of control (i.e.
two separate elements, one on which to put "no-ligatures" - to disable
foo - , and one on which to put "enable all but foo" - to get back the rest)

Eric.