Re: [CSS3-fonts] Proposal: Allow a font name as value for font-size-adjust

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 08:51:26 -0800
To: André Luís <me@andr3.net>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
2012/3/5 André Luís <me@andr3.net>:
> On Mar 5, 2012, at 2:27 PM, Markus Ernst wrote:
>> Am 05.03.2012 15:12 schrieb François REMY:
>>> How do you want to apply something like that (font-size-adjust: "My
>>> fancy font") if your computer don't have the My fancy font
>>> installed/downloaded? This is impossible.
>>
>> Yes. As I wrote in my suggestion, if the font specified is not known to the system, the font-size-adjust property will be ignored.
>>
>> I am sure it is much easier to teach authors to use a well-supported font such as Arial as a reference, than to teach them how to find out the appropriate value for the specific aspect ratio of their first-choice font.
>

> How about following the pattern of multiple-backgrounds and be able to specify one font-size-adjust for each font in the font-stack?

That doesn't address Markus's complaint, which is that figuring out
what the correct adjustment value is is non-trivial.  It also kinda
defeats the purpose of font-size-adjust, which is to establish a
consistent x-height among all the fonts.  If you just want every font
to be a different size, it would be better to simply extend font-size.

~TJ