Re: [css3-grid-layout] [css3-layout] fit-content and auto sizes

On Monday 20 February 2012 20:31:55 Phil Cupp wrote:
> minmax(min-content, max-content) ensures that a track is sized no
> smaller than the largest min-content measure of a grid item
> occupying the track, and no larger than the largest max-content
> measure of a grid-item occupying the track.  The "growth" from the
> resolved min value for a track to its max value happens while space
> is available in the grid, so yes that's equivalent to the
> fit-content formula.  We can remove the auto keyword and just use
> fit-content instead.

I think that using 'fit-content' to mean 'minmax(min-content, max-
content)' was not such a good idea, when we want it to mean something
else in the Box module.

If I remember correctly, 'fit-content' is allowed in the Template
module, because, if 'min-content' and 'max-content' are valid then you
would expect the third new keyword from the Box module to also be valid
in some way.

But 'minmax(min-content, max-content)' is useful enough to give it a
short name. I think we can drop 'fit-content' and just call it 'auto'.

Bert