Re: Western vertical texts

From: Eric Muller <emuller@adobe.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 08:44:55 -0800
To: www-style <www-style@w3.org>
On 3/1/2012 1:00 AM, Koji Ishii wrote:
> Since some fonts (most CJK fonts) have these tables, I think it's
> valuable to have text-orientation: upright value defined in the spec.
> If what you meant was to remove the value from the spec, I don't agree
> with it.

I was not suggesting to remove it. What I am suggesting is to guide
users to text-combine for Western use cases.

Once that is done, the use cases for text-orientation:upright and fonts
that do not have vertical metrics become somewhat marginal. I would
suggest to give room to implementations to deal with those cases.

Eric.