Re: [css3-transitions][css3-animations] Merging transitions & animations

From: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 07:56:01 -0800
Cc: Lea Verou <leaverou@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
To: Aaron Gustafson <aaron@easy-designs.net>

On Mar 1, 2012, at 5:43 am, Aaron Gustafson wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 8:50 AM, Lea Verou <leaverou@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> There seems to be lots of duplicate functionality between those two specs.
>> For example, the following properties accomplish almost identical goals:
>>
>> - transition-duration / animation-duration
>> - transition-delay / animation-delay
>> - transition-timing-function / animation-timing-function
>>
>> I was wondering, would the WG be receptive of any proposals to merge these
>> two specs into one, or is it too late now? Thought I'd ask before starting
>> to brainstorm about it, to avoid working on something that would get
>> rejected on grounds of backwards compatibility.
>

> Iíve been wondering the same thing. I think itís probably worth discussing.

This has been discussed in the past (IIRC, at the Cupertino F2F in 2010), and no-one
could come up with a unified model that is easy to understand.

Although they both involve properties changing over time, they are conceptually
different features.

It's also about two years too late to discuss this :)

Simon