Re: [css3-values] Required minimum precision

On Thursday 2012-06-28 16:07 -0400, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> >Unfortunately, this is *precisely* the case that that line is intended
> >to handle.  If your number is far enough from 1 to be accurately
> >represented as a double, there's no need to have special rounding
> >behavior - it won't be equal to 1 anyway.
>
> You're allowing the numbers to be stored with far less precision
> than a double, so no.
>
> >Yeah, I suspect it would require custom string-to-double conversion
> >routines.
>
> That doesn't make me terribly happy, honestly.  And it still doesn't
> handle things like calc().  Ah, well.  We'll see how much buggy
> custom code this causes people to write.  ;)

I don't think we should add this behavior.  It's not in existing
implementations, and I think this working group is the wrong place
(and has the wrong set of expertise) to specify how string to
floating point conversion should happen.  (I think I do know some
people who were on the IEEE floating point working group, but I
don't think there's any intersection with the CSS working group.)

-David