Re: [css3-values] reserved keywords and user-defined identifiers

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 2:22 AM, John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Related to the scintillating font-family inherit discussion, the
> current draft of CSS3 Values and Units includes this description of
> CSS-wide keywords [1]:
>
>  As defined above, all properties accept the ‘initial’ and
>  ‘inherit’ keywords, which represent value computations common
>  to all CSS properties.  The ‘inherit’ keyword is defined in
>  [CSS21]. The ‘initial’ keyword represents the specified value
>  that is designated as the property's initial value.
>
> This doesn't include the reserved-for-future-use 'default' keyword (as
> noted in the CSS 2.1 definition of font-family) and doesn't explicitly
> state the invalidity of these reserved keywords in user-defined idents
> or in unquoted font family names. Additionally, this doesn't clarify
> whether the case sensitivity applies or not to these keywords (i.e. is
> INHERIT allowed as a counter name?), since CSS is in general
> case-insensitive but user-defined identifiers *are* case sensitive.

We've fixed this now.  'default' is specifically excluded from being a
custom-ident.

We've also added some wording about the case-sensitivity.  This
touches on the more general issue about case-sensitivity of
custom-idents, but it's simple and can be solved independently in the
obvious way for now.