RE: [CSS21] [CSS3 Text] Should 'text-transform: uppercase' apply to input type="text" (text entered, typed in text field by user)?

[Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu:]

> (12/06/26 1:45), Sylvain Galineau wrote:
> > [Christoph Päper:]
> >> With 'text-transform' some UAs ignore the code/style distinction already:
> >> When you copy text that was case-changed through CSS from a browser
> >> into a plain-text environment, it will often be pasted with the
> >> casing displayed in the browser instead of the one stored in the
> >> source code. I strongly believe this is just as wrong as not copying
> "display: none" parts to the clipboard.
> >
> > I'm not sure why that would be wrong, especially from the point of
> > view of an end user. If someone copies/paste something from a web page
> > into their email client and the case changes they are imo far more
> > likely to be surprised and consider it a bug than to think 'oh thank
> > God the browser preserved the state of the markup instead'.
>
> Speaking for end users, wouldn't it be very confusing if what's sent over
> the wire is different from what's shown to the user (when script is
> disabled)? Since we are likely to have more 'text-transform' features in the
> future, I kind of think we should not allow authors to trick users like
> this.

I'm not sure I follow how disabling script would impact the application of
text-transform? I don't know when, how or whether it would be confusing. It all
depends on how the feature is used; anything can be confusing if it's misused
and there is a multitude of ways to 'trick' users. If the author applies
text-transform to form input but no longer applies it when the value is displayed
back to the user, is the problem with text-transform?

Conversely, should we require text-transform to affect the value that is submitted
then I suspect it won't be very reliable in practice e.g. because a stylesheet didn't
load, a number of existing UAs may not apply this property to the content of form
controls but applying it to existing forms could break applications that did not
expect it to apply to form controls or affect the field value etc.

Overall I think of this as a display-only feature pending use-cases that prove otherwise.
And even then I would be concerned about the compat impact.