Re: [CSS21] [CSS3 Text] Should 'text-transform: uppercase' apply to input type="text" (text entered, typed in text field by user)?

On 26/6/12 14:28, Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu wrote:
> (12/06/26 1:45), Sylvain Galineau wrote:
>> [Christoph Päper:]
>>> With 'text-transform' some UAs ignore the code/style distinction already:
>>> When you copy text that was case-changed through CSS from a browser into a
>>> plain-text environment, it will often be pasted with the casing displayed in
>>> the browser instead of the one stored in the source code. I strongly believe
>>> this is just as wrong as not copying "display: none" parts to the clipboard.
>>
>> I'm not sure why that would be wrong, especially from the point of view of an
>> end user. If someone copies/paste something from a web page into their email
>> client and the case changes they are imo far more likely to be surprised and
>> consider it a bug than to think 'oh thank God the browser preserved the state
>> of the markup instead'.
>
> Speaking for end users, wouldn't it be very confusing if what's sent
> over the wire is different from what's shown to the user (when script is
> disabled)? Since we are likely to have more 'text-transform' features in
> the future, I kind of think we should not allow authors to trick users
> like this.
>
> Otherwise, I don't see a use case of applying 'text-transform' to input
> controls.

ISTM that this is not a reason to disallow styling input controls. Would
you argue against applying font-family, for similar reasons? An author
wishing to "trick" users could just apply a font that has a non-standard
character/glyph mapping.

JK