Re: [css3-flexbox] ordering and accessibility concerns

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 16:54:00 -0700
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: John Foliot <john@foliot.ca>, public-cssacc@w3.org, www-style@w3.org
On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 4:14 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>> Agreed with fantasai here.  Part of the reason for including 'order'
>> at all was to allow authors to order their source in the best, most
>> logical way, with the important content up front and the lesser
>> content later in the document, and then lay it out in whatever way
>> makes the most sense.  Whether the navigation section appears on the
>> left or right of the main content section shouldn't matter, but in
>> today's world it does due to styling limitations, and 'order' lets us
>> fix that.
>>
>> So, I'm *for* order affecting tab-order by default, and *against* it
>> affecting speech order by default.
>

> So, you want tab order to:
>  - if the sidebar is on the left, enter navigation first, article second
>  - if the sidebar is on the right, enter article first, navigation second
> ?

Gah, good point.  I'm thinking more of the cases where, say, you use
'order' to bring one item to the front.  For example, if I have some
featured comments on my blogpost implemented by tagging them with
class='featured' and ".featured { order: -1; }", I'd like them to be
first when tabbing through all the "reply" buttons.

So basically, the two primary use-cases for 'order' (arbitrary page
layout, and pulling some elements to the front of a container) have
completely different desired default behaviors. :/

~TJ