Re: [css3-gcpm] Float direction logical values are badly named

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 15:04:03 -0700
To: Nicholas Shanks <contact@nickshanks.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 4:25 AM, Nicholas Shanks <contact@nickshanks.com> wrote:
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-gcpm/#page-and-column-floats-alternative-synta
>
> Where the spec currently has "line-left" and "line-right", WebKit uses
> "start" and "end" respectively, for its vendor-prefixed logical
> margin, border and padding property names. These keywords would be
> unambiguous, whereas in the current draft, rtl "line-left" is actually
> on the right.

I think they're being used because they're the vertical-aware versions
of "left" and "right". I don't recall the discussion about this well
enough to know why start/end were discarded.

> The current spec uses "before" and "after" for the block-flow axis
> keywords, matching WebKit's extant use. I suggest changing the inline
> axis keywords to match WebKit's usage too.

Note that the block-flow axis keywords were recently changed to "head"
and "foot".

> Also, which of the listed keywords at the start of section 13 are the
> "four new" ones?

I think that's stale text.  Everything besides left/right/none are new.

~TJ