Re: [css3-flexbox] Fixing the "replaced elements may or may not be inline" issue

On 06/25/2012 02:28 PM, fantasai wrote:
> If you assume that in the future, 'display: flex-item' will exist and
> will be the computed value returned by any non-inline element that is
> a child of a flex container, then you already have this problem. Right?

We'd have a version of the same problem, yeah -- we'd have
style-computation for "display" depending on the parent's "display" value.

> And we *are* assuming that 'display: flex-item' will exist at some
> point in the future, it's just not in the spec right now (afaict because
> we're unsure what to do with it outside a flex item?)

Hmm, ok -- yeah, I'd forgotten about that.

(In that case, gecko-implementation-wise, it probably makes sense to go
with strategy (i) from my previous message -- simply start treating
"display" as if it always needs access to the parent's computed style,
as if it were an inherited-by-default property -- or something like that.)

That makes Proposals A/B from
  http://wiki.csswg.org/topics/css3-flexbox-flexbox-replaced-children
less unattractive to me, I suppose. :)

Thanks for the clarification,