Re: [css3-flexbox] ordering and accessibility concerns

On 06/20/2012 06:18 PM, John Foliot wrote:

>> My opinions:
>>
>> Currently authors can assume that speech, non-CSS UAs, and other
>> linearized media follow the DOM order. Therefore the best practice is
>> to put the source in logical order, and to use visual CSS techniques
>> to perform any reordering that improves the visual layout (since
>> visual media are 2D and visual elements can be accessed non-linearly
>> by the viewer). One of the main use cases for visual reordering
>> features
>> is thus the ability to *not* affect linearized output. Otherwise, you
>> might as well reorder the content itself.
>>
>> Therefore I strongly believe Flexbox's ordering features should *not*
>> affect speech output.
>

> Except of course when that collides with the low-vision user using a
> combination of zoom and text-to-speech. Under normal (and current)
> implementations, those tools follow the DOM order. If you start to rearrange
> the page's DOM ordered content visually (putting the first DOM node content
> visually after the 3rd) then the tools like ZoomText will be 'flying' all
> over the screen focusing on the DOM order content (regardless of the CSS
> styling), tabbed or not - this is going to be a horrible user-experience.

That assumes that the visual reordering is completely random. But usually
it's not, usually you are using reordering for, e.g. shifting the entire
navigation section to the left or above the main content. So the ZoomText
user following source order will be pulled into the main content area,
skipping over the navigation sections, and then jump back up to the navigation
sections--but that's the *intention*.

~fantasai