Re: [css3-flexbox] ordering and accessibility concerns

From: Marat Tanalin | tanalin.com <mtanalin@yandex.ru>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 03:08:28 +0400
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: "public-cssacc@w3.org" <public-cssacc@w3.org>,"www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
21.06.2012, 02:26, "fantasai" <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>:
> One of the main use cases for visual reordering features
> is thus the ability to *not* affect linearized output. Otherwise, you
> might as well reorder the content itself.
>
> Therefore I strongly believe Flexbox's ordering features should *not*
> affect speech output.

I tend to like this option too.

> As for whether tab-order should follow visual or logical order, I
> don't have a strong opinion. Maybe someone else has good arguments
> one way or another. :)

Since flexbox is a CSS feature, whether its corresponding visual order should affect tab order could probably be controlled explicitly via some CSS property like `tab-order`.

For example, `tab-order` could have following possible values:

    * `tree` (or `normal`) -- used by default and means that tab order follows DOM order;
    * `visual` -- means that tab order should correspond to visual order (regardless of how exactly elements are reordered -- via flexbox or by using some other CSS feature).