Re: [css3-values] nesting calc()

From: Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu <kennyluck@csail.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 15:58:09 +0800
To: Fran├žois REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>
CC: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, www-style@w3.org
(12/06/20 15:45), Fran├žois REMY wrote:
> I'm not an expert in CSS syntax but it seems to be a dangerous idea. Is
> there a way in CSS to distinguish a function from an identifier followed
> by parenthized expression? Example:
>
>    animation: attr(anim);
>
> and:
>
>    animation: myAnim (15s - 3s);
>
> ?

Probably no, but I am not exactly sure what your concern is.

Are you saying that people would be tempted to do

  margin: auto(100% - 1em);

and get wrong? If that's the case, why wouldn't people get wrong by thinking

  margin: auto1em;

would work? Is is the parenthesis notation that allures the authors to
drop the whitespace in the middle?

(In your example, "animation: attr(anim);" isn't valid because
"attr(anim)" is a <string>.)

Cheers,
Kenny